Saturday 1 March 2008

They mugged me for my doughnuts!

If they had hoodies, they'd have ASBO's by now, for sure....

I went up to the village for some groceries & popped into the little Co-op & found a bag of apples & a bag of 10 jam doughnuts on the whoopsie counter. Ahhh, I thought, I'll treat Edward & Tubbs & give them a few apples and a doughnut each for their tea & their breakkie over the next few days... I came back home all pleased with myself for being so lovely & thrifty all at the same time & told Barbara (my mum-in-law-to-be) of my purchase. She said she had a little bunch of grapes that were past their best & that I could chuck them in the trough too.

Off I went to the patch with a smile on my face & quite possibly whistling. I wasn't whistling, but you get the picture, I was feeling pretty chilled & totally not ready for what came next. I should have known there was trouble ahead when they were standing high on their midden looking like they meant business. They had also been doing some landscape gardening it seemed - there's a few paving slabs in their patch which I use to step on to fill their trough, in an attempt to stay mud-free. The slabs have been there long before E &T and were quite solidly set. Well, there were a few of them that had been tossed to one side & the trough was tipped over & all their footballs had quite obviously been played with. Still, in I went & they came running straight over to me - Tubbs trying to bite at my knees & Edward standing slightly back but I'm sure I could hear him egging her on. I frantically threw the bunch of grapes in their trough hoping they would distract them while I got a couple of doughnuts & apples out of my bag. I know, I know, I should have got them out of the bag before I went in there, but I didn't. Anyway, they took one look at the grapes & looked back up at me with that 'we know there's better stuff than this in that bag' look & ran at me, squeaking & honking & tore the bag from my hand!!! The apples & doughnuts went everywhere & they proceeded to hoover everything up before my eyes. I scrabbled to try to save some of the doughnuts & managed to get 3 back in my bag & I literally ran out of there!! My heart was racing, my cheeks were flushed & I certainly wasn't whistling!

Bloody little hooligans.

VP x

3 comments:

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Thank goodness for that. I was beginning to think it was just my pair. Welcome to pig-keeping!

Unknown said...

He he he !!! How funny. I would have been well scared. Do pigs jump up at you like dogs do?
Thank you for your email about the hotels. The Eden Arms looks very nice. I'll let you know when we have booked. If you had slipped over in the pen what would they do?

Virgin Porker said...

Thanks Malc, it's obviously been a long time coming!

In answer to your question Claire, they don't jump up like dogs - thank goodness! If I'd slipped over, I like to think they wouldn't have bitten me to death, but I'm glad they didn't get the chance to! The Eden Arms isn't actually in Durham - I guess it depends on what you want to do - if you're going to have a weekend away, it might not be the best bet but the coach to bring people here will be going from the Eden Arms... x