Saturday 12 January 2008

Oh dear

Just tried making my first loaf of bread. Well, when I say first, I mean first since leaving school (which was quite some time ago). The actual first attempt, the one at school, made everyone in my family sick. Literally.

I thought it was about time I conquered my fear and had another go. Especially now there's this new-fangled quick & easy dried yeast stuff. Hmmmm.... It's easy, they all said. Well, I think I might have fallen at the first hurdle. When my 'ball' of dough went into the bowl for it's first prove, it looks nothing like the 'smooth silky ball' it's supposed to....

It's got another 45 minutes in it's bowl before I have to 'knock it back'. This sounds all a little too much like hard work to me. Why can't we be like the wonderful French and have a little boulangerie in the village - so much more civilised.

Will let you know how I get on.

VP x

PS
I'm bloody brilliant at cakes, even if I do say so myself.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Al,
I must say I'm really enjoying hearing about Edwards & Tubbs. You are such a lovely girl & have a very big heart - you always had the ability to make me smile! The pigs sound absolutely adorable. I think it's a really good thing that you are doing. I totally understand about the supermarket meat. I buy mine from our local butcher now. I don't think he likes me much as I still heave at the trays of hearts and kidneys (my vegetarian head). Although I can still woof down a Big Mac quicker than Craig can get through the first verse of "who ate all the pies".
Do they really have to go off to the slaughter house? Can you not get them put down in their pen? Or take them in the field and shoot them from behind?
Kitty keeps asking about the piggie pictures but I daren't tell her as the last thing you need is a five year old sparking up a save Edwards & Tubbs campaign! lol.
Reminds me of when my dad bought a crate of live mussels. I used to sprinkle Ready Brek on the water every night after school. Only to find them screaming in a pan of red wine and onions one Friday night! (I now know it was only the air escaping!). Jodie Foster Silence of the Lambs - I had the Screaming of the Mussels!
We wish you all the luck and the best 2008 for you & James and the rest of your gang . And look forward to hearing lots more pig tales. c xxx
ps. You must eat a serious amount of veg to keep 2 pigs in peelings (good job thet don't live with us they'd starve).
pps. Please don't correct me if I'm wrong about the mussel theory - I couldn't bear it! xxx