Thursday 21 February 2008

I've had to make a difficult decision....

After having received some advice from couple of members on the British Saddlebacks forum, I've had to make a decision about Edward. I'm afraid he's going to have to go to slaughter earlier than I'd hoped. He'll need to go in April, when he's 6 months old, for 2 reasons. The first is that I run the risk of boar taint after this age - this is when the meat is tainted with a pretty rank flavour which is caused by him reaching sexual maturity. If he had been castrated as a piglet, I wouldn't have had this problem, but he wasn't & so I do. I suppose this is maybe a good reason to castrate boars - I know from various things I've read, a lot of people frown upon this practice, but if he had been, he'll be able to live a longer life. I think I know which I would have preferred... The 2nd reason is that because he'll have reached sexual maturity (and so will Tubbs - his sister), I cannot run the risk of him successfully doing the deed with her. Her cycles will come every 3 weeks apparently from this age & the last thing I'd want is for her to get pregnant. So, the plan is to get 2 more weaners to keep her company when he goes. She can then become the hog roast for our wedding feast & the two newbies will go for slaughter around Christmas. If all this goes to plan, it's then our intention to have a break for a few months as Jeff & I will take our honeymoon next January / February time & then we'll get our next two in Spring 2009.

I feel really sad (as I knew I would) and I'm letting horrible thoughts enter my head about Edward's end. I've become far too attached to him (and her), and maybe I should have kept my distance more. But how can you when you have only 2 & they rely on you for everything? Maybe if you're a farmer on a much grander scale, it all becomes less personal, but for me it's going to be hard. I know I'll go through with it, but I do know that I'm going to be really upset. I can feel the tears pricking my eyes now as I type. Oh goodness, this is hard! I really want to go with him to the abattoir - not to watch, but just to be there for him. I'm going to ask if I'm able to.

On a brighter note, it's warmed up. The taps are finally working & I've just given everything a really good hose down. I feel ridiculously satisfied about having running outside taps! It's amazing how difficult it is without them. It's pretty grey & a bit drizzly, but I'm so glad it's not sub zero. I think Ed, Tubbs & the inmates are pleased too!

I'm off to the 'proper' job now so need to go shower. Speak later.

VP x

2 comments:

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Very wise decision. Boar taint is quite rare, but it's not worth the risk, is it? Eric and Ernie were castrated very early, so I may keep them on until the end of May when, at nine months, they'll be a good bacon weight.

As for getting upset about 'the end', I suppose it's natural. I've been trying to concentrate my efforts on getting ready for the new pigs - kind of setting up a cycle. It might help.

Virgin Porker said...

It really isn't worth the risk - what a waste. The next 2 will have to be gilts or castrated boars, I don't want to end up in this situation again. It's all a very big learning curve & especially more so now that it's all suddenly become a lot more 'real'.

I think you're right about the cycle - that's what everyone has said, get the new ones ready to arrive at the same time as the old ones go - I suppose it does make it a bit easier. Oh dear Malc, try telling me that the month after next....