Tuesday 18 December 2007

Concerned mammy

I was a bit worried about the amount of food I've been giving Edward & Tubbs so I asked for some advice on the accidental smallholder forum (which, I have to say has been invaluable since deciding I was going to rear pigs). Turns out that in the cold weather, with them being so young I need to feed them more! I thought I was giving them too much! As soon as I read this advice, I ran out with the bowl of peelings I'd been saving for tomorrow's feed! Don't want my babies starving!

They're absolutely fine though, I'm sure. I really think they've got bigger since Saturday! At this rate, I shall be feeding small hippos come January! I will keep their feed up though until the cold weather's done it's worst.

Jack (the handyman) has made a fab shelving unit above their sleeping area. Looks like they're sleeping in a 4-poster bed! It not only acts as a little roof above where they sleep (making them feel more secure & warm), but I can keep my spare straw bales on top of it. Cushty.

We had some memebers of James' family round last night and we all trooped into the barn for some cooing over the wee bairns - everyone loves Edward & Tubbs and they're all saying that I'll never be able to send them to slaughter, but I honestly think I will. Although I love them and am growing attached to them, I know why they're here and am feeling surprising calm about the whole thing. I'm actually looking forward to tasting their meat and want to make the best I possibly can of them. Ask me that again next summer..... It's only been 3 days after all!!

Tried them with bananas today - they were a bit unsure at first, but next time I went in, they'd eaten the lot. They had a couple of whole potatoes too (ones that had gone a bit iffy for human consumption) and they went mad for them! Almost as mad as apples send them! They really are so funny, Edward is a real roughty toughty boy - he started trying to eat my welly today, little sod. Tubbs loves me now I think. She rolls over to let me rub her tummy when she's having a little snooze.
She loves a little scratch behind her ears and a rub on her neck. Ahhhhh.... She almost had a finger off earlier though when I dropped the apple I was holding for her. Must watch out for that!

Funnily enough, Hugh's on the tv now with Delia, one of his (I'm sure no longer as this is an old repeat) Saddlebacks. She's helping him find truffles. I really hope that my father-in-law changes his mind about letting them in the paddock. I'm sure under supervision they wont do TOO much harm & I know that they'll love it. For now though, they'll have to do with the old potato patch - I think I shall let them venture out there this weekend. I wanted to settle them in first before we let them outside. I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do or not, but with this cold weather and their trauma at being taken from their mam, I thought it best for them to stay inside for a week until we all get to know eachother better....

Anyway, gonna sign off for now - have company again tonight and I'm onto my 2nd glass of wine, so will no doubt go on and on and on if I don't say goodbye at this point!

VP x









No comments: