Sunday 30 December 2007

Still alive!

It's me! I'm still alive - not been eaten by Edward & Tubbs - yet! I tell you, the way Edward's carrying on, I shall be glad to tuck into his tasty little body! Ahhh, not really, but he is a little villain. He tries to eat not only everything I take into their pen with me (spade / mucking out bread tray - yes, I know, but it's a lot easier than a wheelbarrow / stool - I take that in with me to sit with them for a while to watch them / bowl that carries their food), he also likes to tuck into my toes & anything else on my body that he comes into contact with! I've managed to avoid his teeth so far! He's not doing it maliciously (I don't think!), I think he just likes to have a chew on stuff. I did make the big mistake of going to see them after I'd showered & had slathered that Palmer's Cocoa Butter stuff all over me (my poor little southern jessie skin needs a bit of moisture in the bleak northern winter) and I hadn't thought about the fact that it smells quite chocolaty & sweet & both of the little buggers tried to eat me!! I wont be doing that again in a hurry! They shall get me stinking of dogs as I generally do (working in the kennels, remember) - they seem to leave me alone that way!

Bless Tubbs, she's so sweet - she's really my little pal & follows me around - she comes to the gate as soon as she hears my voice & she sniffs at me while I give her a little scratch. Edward (when he's not being a terror) is lovely in his own little way too - he'll let me do pretty much anything as long as he's got his snout in some food. I can't wait to see them when the sun starts shining, enjoying being outside & rooting around.... Roll on Spring....

The weather's not been too bad in the last week or so actually - it's been a bit changeable, but generally fairly mild. A week before the holidays, it was absolutely bitter - the outside taps were all frozen and the frost didn't thaw for days. It made kennel work pretty difficult. It's no fun hosing down dog runs with hoses that are frozen solid! It's just a bit grey & miserable now. At least the piggies are not cold - they're like little hot water bottles if you put your hand between them when they're sleeping. And they always sleep nose to tail - it's so cute.

It's been a busy Christmas, not helped by the fact that we had a massive power cut on Christmas day. The power went off at midday and didn't come back on until 8:30!!! As romantic as it sounds, reading by candlelight is not my idea of festive fun! Thankfully, we had planned to eat late (although the gates were locked, we still had a full house as far as dogs were concerned & so there was still quite a lot to do before we could relax) and the meat hadn't been put in the oven. If it had, it would have all been ruined! We had to make do with cold meat sandwiches & boiled water for tea on a little camping stove! Very pre-war.... We ended up having Christmas lunch on Boxing Day. Consequently, I feel quite confused now when asked what day it is!

I still haven't taken any more photos of the wee ones - I will do that soon, I promise. I need to sort some more batteries out for my camera first.

It's now bedtime though and I can feel another cold coming on. I don't seem to be rid of my earlier one & keep taking my zinc & vitamins! Darn this winter weather....

Bye for now. Old Year's Night tomorrow. Can't believe the year's over already. Where does the time go??!

VP x

No comments: