Saturday 15 December 2007

We're ready!

Well, everything's all set for the arrival of my first pair of Saddleback weaners. The barn has been arranged so that they have a cosy sleeping area with insulation (!) so that they're not too cold. I think that Jack, our handyman is more concerned for their welfare than I am! I've collected up the last of the windfall apples and have some yoghurt and over the top bananas too as a little 'welcome home' treat. These are going to be two totally spoiled pigs....

I'm collecting them from the farmer at 10:30 tomorrow and am sure I'll have a pretty restless night's sleep tonight through over excitement! There's a little bit of worry there too, but I'm trying not to think about that too much. I've lost a good bit of sleep since it was agreed I could keep them already worrying about them going to the abbatoir . I've been told that the best thing to do is not think about that until the day comes. Apparantly it's ok to cry too - I'm sure I shall be in floods. But I'm not supposed to be thinking about that am I?!

I had a moment of panic last night when I read that ragwort is poisonous to livestock, but I then found out that we don't have any. Phew! This is going to be a a bit of a steep learning curve methinks!

Buddy (our dog) knows there's something going on - he's in for a big surprise tomorrow!

No comments: